NEWSBANK USER GUIDE
NewsBank allows you to search the text of thousands of recent newspapers – local, national and international. Coverage varies by paper, but generally goes back 10-20 years. Some larger papers include full page views and images, along with the text.
STEP 1 - GET ACCESS
BIPC are here to help. Many resources are paid-for, so BIPC has an account. From home, you can use your library card number for access.
Available via Devon Reference Online or Torbay Reference Online, and click the ‘Open NewsBank’ button.
In the library, you do not need a username or password.
From home, enter your Devon/Torbay libraries card number.
STEP 2 - SEARCH RESOURCE
We’re in to the ‘nitty gritty’ now – this is where you find the gold!
On the home page, scroll down to see links to local newspapers and UK Business titles.
Click on the images, to see curated collections of articles on key topics.
To view a specific paper
- Click ‘A – Z source list’ at top of screen
- Enter title (e.g. Guardian) or click letter ‘G’.
- Scroll until you find the one you want,. If you’re having problems finding the major UK papers, try adding ‘London’ to your search – eg Times London, Telegraph London.
- There may be 2 versions – text or image. One looks like the newspaper with all images and can be browsed by page, the other is text only.
- Select the date of the issue you want or use the search bar to search within this newspaper
Searching and filtering
For a simple search, enter your terms in the search box.
- ‘More Search Options’ allows you to combine terms, select whether you just want to search the lead paragraph or the whole text, and limit by date.
- Map Search allows you to narrow your focus to newspapers from a particular part of the world.
Once you’ve carried out your search, use the options on the left of the screen to narrow by date, location etc.
Click ‘Apply’ once you’ve made any changes.
Click New Search (top of screen) to clear your search and start again.
Viewing your Results
Click on the article title to see full information.
The toolbar at the top of the page allows you to toggle text size, get citation information, email, print or download the article, save the article to a folder,(see below) or copy a link to the article. If you send an email or link, you won’t be required to login again to view the text.
Saving results and creating alerts
If you’d like to save your articles to refer back to later, or save your search to re-run on a different date, click the save search link, just below the search box. You’ll be asked to set up a personal folder with and email and password, which you’ll be able to access in any future sessions.
If you’d like to receive an email alert when new articles are added that match your search, choose the Create Alert option. You’ll be asked for an email address, and how often you wish to be contacted.
A full user guide and Help videos are available by clicking the ‘Help’ link at the foot of each screen